Chocolate: It's Why We Run

A community of runners (or others) logging in their progress for encouragement and motivation.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Introduction

I am a mother...a wife....a teacher...a student...a child of God....a runner.

My very best friend in the entire world lives 1000 miles away from me. She's my motivator; the one who got me to run marathons in the first place. But with her so far away, she's not here to pull me out the door and onto the streets, running along the canal, running downtown Princeton, running from WaWa. But that's my fault, I moved away.

So to help jumpstart my fitness, I've started this blog. I'll be using it to post my fitness stories and log my running progress. And I hope you do the same.

Today is 2 months since I gave birth to my beautiful baby girl, so I thought it would be a good time to get back on a fitness routine. I went to the gym and on the treadmill I logged in a little over 3 miles...
Walked .25
Ran 1.5
Walked .25
Ran 1.25
Walked .25
It felt good. I went REALLY slow, and worked up to where my sister starts (8 minute miles), but it's a beginning. Because I had some technical difficulties when I paused to get a drink of water, I have no idea how long it took me. We'll just say: A LONG TIME!!!!

And then I came home and ate 4 creme filled cookies!!!! Hey...it's why I run!!!

I encourage others of you to join me in commenting on what you did today so we can start a running/fitness support group. We can motivate each other and who knows, maybe one day we'll find ourselves running together in a marathon...with a box of chocolates waiting for us at the end.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lauren said...

This is great Cari! (Although I did have the thought- 3 kids under 5= very very little time and now TWO blogs...) Are you going to Lifetime? Did you bring the kids? I think it's fantastic how much you ran two months post! I sure hope I can even do half of that at that point! I'll look forward to posting on here in 5 months. I actually have been doing a fair amount of swimming, snowshoeing, and walking, and even going to the gym to ride the bike, but I'm sensing a major slowdown the last week- the belly is getting BIG and I seem to be less coordinated! I'm also finding that when the choice is sleep or exercise- I want sleep!!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

Hey Lauren!
I do these blogs...because I'm bored at home...something to look forward to!

I am going to Lifetime...we just signed up. But Ella has to be 3 months to go to the kids place, so I had a babysitter yesterday for a Kindergarten meeting and also took a trip to the gym.

Good for you for keeping active. I was always too tired.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Jaye said...

Your best friend (who happens to be my sister, for those of you who don't know) also got me into long-distance running. We were in track in high school together, but I was a sprinter then - for me, long distance was the 2 miles we had to run during "distance" days. Anything longer than that was out of the question. NOW (not at this very moment, but nowadays), 2 miles is just a short hop. I remember when I was training for our first marathon (San Diego), and I heard myself tell a co-worker that I was going to "just do a 5-mile run - nothing long"! I shocked myself hearing that! It's so funny how much running can change your perspective on things.

I haven't been running for a few months, but I really want to get back into the swing of things, because I've fallen in love with the 1/2 marathon - long enough to be a challenge, but short enough not to die! That may be a good goal for those of us with little free time - it doesn't take the commitment level as a marathon does and you can run again (without pain!) 2 days after the race. Runner's world this month (or is it next month's issue - the one with the blonde lady on it) has a half-marathon training plan that takes only 3 days a week (I can do that, even with my schedule!).

Thanks for starting this blog - I can see great things coming out (and hopefully pounds coming off!) of this!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

Jaye & Lauren,
I sent you an "inviation" to join this team blog. Let me know if you didn't get it.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Mom S said...

Well I guess you have another team member (not runner these days - old injuries of bad knee and back don't allow) but committed to my gym routine and eating healthy. No excuses for distance since the gym is just 6 doors away from my house. I can just about roll out of bed and be there in 5 minutes if I want.....but instead of go after work 2 times each week for 1/2 hour fast walk on the treadmill and two body sculpting classes weekly. I think that is a good start for this woman in her mid-life years. My visual motivation when I think I can't lift another pound of weight is "I am sure going to look "HOT" this summer down the shore.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home