Chocolate: It's Why We Run

A community of runners (or others) logging in their progress for encouragement and motivation.

Monday, May 15, 2006

What I Did, I Was Compelled to Do

It was such a beautiful day last Sunday, I HAD to get out. I felt so free, so empowered, and I wasn’t even running, but I was MOVING. Let me backtrack a bit:

I have been having problems with daytime sleepiness, and my doctor thinks I may have sleep apnea (that can be serious), but that won’t be diagnosed until I have a sleep study (which is scheduled to happen within the next couple of weeks – which is why I’ve also been hesitant to register for any races yet). In any case, I have had such little energy for the last few months; I didn’t think I would ever get out. Since we have PS2 at home, I decided to buy Dance Dance Revolution (or DDR), so at least I could be a little active. Most days, though, I just wanted to sleep as soon as I got home – and that’s what I usually did.

I HATED being so lethargic – especially on sunny days. On my way to and from work, I would see countless runners, and all I could hear in my head was, “I should be out there, too.” But, nearly every day when I arrived home from work, I would head for the bed (or couch), and I’d take a nap, until it was time to make dinner, then go to my second job, or to fellowship.

I did have some days where I just pressed through, and did DDR for ½ hour or so. I felt great, but then, about an hour or two later, I’d feel like I was just hit by a bus. I could literally hear my bed calling out for me – and I would struggle with the Sandman until I got home.

Last Sunday, however, was different. I was determined to get out and move. I’d already missed out on registering for the Nike Marathon that everyone else is doing, but I had to set SOME sort of goal and this was it. I would do at LEAST a 2 mile walk – the day was too nice to waste! I put on my running shoes, turned on a teaching tape, gave myself 30 minutes on my watch and set out to reacquaint myself with my neighborhood on foot. I wanted to run, but I just kept it at a brisk walk. It was invigorating! It was also very warm, but I really didn’t care – I did those two miles!

I felt so alive, so free, but most of all, I felt AWAKE.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cari said...

Good for you Jaye! You did more than I did today...more than I'll do these next couple days...can't ever seem to get any running in when I travel. I vow to run on Friday, though.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Jaye said...

If you are running after your kids, that counts (as far as I'm concerned). I'm sure you'll get plenty of some type of workout!

Enjoy your trip!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home