Chocolate: It's Why We Run

A community of runners (or others) logging in their progress for encouragement and motivation.

Monday, June 19, 2006

92

A church in my neighborhood had a 5k run/walk this weekend for breast cancer. A friend and I walked it with our strollers and got started a little late due to some last minute stroller adjustments with her son. Next to us at the back of the pack was an older man- looked to be in his 70s maybe. He was walking determinedly with a spring in his step. When we came near to the finish, both of us commented to each other that we hoped we'd be in as good of shape as he looked to be when we were older.

At the pancake breakfast following the run/walk, they annouced the age-group awards. The older man won his age group- the 90-100 age group! He is 92.

He's my inspiration this week for healthy living!

3 Comments:

Anonymous dana said...

Well, guys....I was doing sooo well and now I have a quadricep injury....any suggestions for leg strenghtening exercies (a video perhaps)...I need prayers for complete healing. Dana

1:32 PM  
Blogger L said...

Dana-
Prayers started for you!

Other than that, the first thing I'd suggest is complete and total rest of the leg (No running) for about 10 days to 2 weeks . Two or three weeks off now is nothing- you have plenty of time before the marathon. Total rest and then a very slow comeback will help more than anything.

Are you remembering to follow the 10% rule for getting ready for a long race? Your weekly mileage should never increase more than 10% each week. Also, many marathoners follow the 3-1 rule as well- 3 weeks of building mileage, then 1 week easy, etc. (So you might do a 25 mile week, a 28 mile week, a 31 mile week, then a 20 mile week. Then the next week start at 28 miles, then 31, then 34, then a 20. Then 31, 34, 38, 20. And so on.)

Also, watch doing hill or speed workouts too quickly.

Do you want some training programs to follow? I can suggest a few. Not sure what you might be using as a guide.

Take care of yourself and hang in there

9:36 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I need all the help that I can get because I tend to push myself and not go easy.....you are right..I am resting and not running right now, although I am still sore. I am trying to get better..but it is harder for me. Can you please send me a training program?? My email is danamspitz@yahoo.com Thanks for the prayers, Dana

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home