Chocolate: It's Why We Run

A community of runners (or others) logging in their progress for encouragement and motivation.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Exhausted

With the extreme heat and rain, it has been hard to find a day to do a long run. Finally, today I decided to venture out and attempt to do a 2 1/2 hour run. Who cares that it was still 85 degrees. Who cares that it was in the middle of the day. Who cares that I would be running where there was very little shade.

My body cared!!!!!

Ugh!!!! I did 50 minutes before stopping for a drink, banana and powerbar. Then I continued along, finding new lakes and trails in my town. But by 1 1/2 hours, I was really beat and found myself walking a lot. My legs felt fine, but the rest of me didn't at all. But I had to get home, so I trudged along. At about 1/2 mile until my house, my legs finally gave out. I had "charlie horse" type cramps in both my front quads. Oh how I just wanted to get home.

So I actually only ended up running for 2 hours and 10 minutes...with lots of breaks. And with the ending walk, it was closer to 2:25.

This run made me think of 2 things:

1. I need a running partner. Someone to help pace me and encourage me and prevent me to do stupid things like run the route I did today, at midday.

2. I now recall why after my last training for a marathon that I said I was only going to do 1/2 marathons.

I hope the rest of you are having better long ones!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lanette said...

Oh, don't give up!!!! You know we always have horror training stories! Yes, and I have been tempted to run in the heat of the day, but I usually wait unitl at least 4 o clock, not much better. Gayle and I went out on Saturday morning for a 2 hour run. it was hot, though we were on the towpath, we did not start early enough and ended right around 12:30pm. I was wasted, but I did it. I ran/walked the last 15 minutes, then went back up the trail to finish with Gayle. Still kicking though!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

It's hot, this sucks!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home